The Sea Turtle Rescue Center (DEKAMER) was established in 2009 in Dalyan, Mugla-Turkey. DEKAMER is aimed to carry out detailed scientific studies on sea turtle biology, to treat injured sea turtles and help them return to their natural habitat, to support the research projects proposed within the scope of the laboratories, maintenance and to establish new first aid units and treatment centers in various areas where the care and treatment of injured sea turtles can be done. DEKAMER is also aimed to educate the public about conservation studies and wildlife. DEKAMER is open for both national and international collaborations in all types of scientific studies.
Main research topics of DEKAMER are:
- Investigating sea turtle injury and death causes
- Conservation of sea turtle nests and nesting beaches
- Sex ratio studies
- Investigation of marine habitat use of sea turtles
- Investigating sea turtle migratory corridors
- Effects of heavy metal pollution on sea turtle